ITEM: The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Dr. Daniel J. Siegel
CATEGORY: Positive Parenting
With illustrations, charts, and even a handy “Refrigerator Sheet”, the authors have made every effort to make brain science parent-friendly.
ABOUT THE BOOK The Whole Brain Child demystifies meltdowns and aggravation, explaining the new science of how a child’s brain is wired and how it matures. With clear explanations, age-appropriate strategies for dealing with day-to-day struggles and illustrations that will help you explain these concepts to your child, The Whole-Brain Child shows you how to cultivate healthy emotional and intellectual development for your children to lead a balanced, meaningful and connected life.
Raise calmer, happier children using twelve key strategies, including:
• Name It to Tame It: Corral raging right-brain behavior through left-brain storytelling, appealing to the left brain’s affinity for words and reasoning to calm emotional storms and bodily tension.
• Engage, Don’t Enrage: Keep your child thinking and listening, instead of purely reacting.
• Move It or Lose It: Use physical activities to shift your child’s emotional state.
• Let the Clouds of Emotion Roll By: Guide your children when they are stuck on a negative emotion, and help them understand that feelings come and go.
• SIFT: Help children pay attention to the Sensations, Images, Feelings, and Thoughts within them so that they can make better decisions and be more flexible.
• Connect Through Conflict: Use discord to encourage empathy and greater social success.
KEY TOPIC: Parenting
AUTHOR: Dr Daniel J. Siegel, Tina Payne Bryson
FORMAT: 192 page paperback book
SIZE: 210mm × 135mm